Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Old Portage

 
 
The Old Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patricia Lawrence, May 16, 2012
1. The Old Portage Marker
Inscription.  Short trail from Lake Pontchartrain to River shown by Indians to Iberville and Bienville, 1699. Winding trail used by early travelers to city. From Bayou St. John it led to N. Broad, Bayou Roads, Vieux Carre to Mississippi River at site between Dumaine and Gov. Nicholls Sts.
 
Erected 1963 by The Department of Commerce and Industry [of LA].
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNative AmericansWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1699.
 
Location. 29° 58.709′ N, 90° 5.285′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Moss Street and Bell Street, on the right when traveling south on Moss Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Lady of the Rosary Rectory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pitot House (approx. Ό mile away); In Memory of All American Veterans (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana (approx. 0.3 miles
The Old Portage Marker image. Click for full size.
April 16, 2010
2. The Old Portage Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Metairie And Gentilly Ridges (approx. 0.4 miles away); Allard Plantation (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club, Inc. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Didier Dreaux (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
 
Additional keywords. Bayou, Indian Trail
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by Patricia Lawrence of Gaithersburg, Maryland. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 5, 2012, by Patricia Lawrence of Gaithersburg, Maryland.   2. submitted on October 7, 2017. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=56026

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 20, 2022