Greencastle in Putnam County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Eli Lilly & The Civil War ( 1861–1865 )
The Lilly Drugstore was a modest enterprise, and by April of 1861, when President Lincoln called for volunteers, patriotic Lilly answered the call of duty. He closed his drugstore, joined the Putnam County Rifles, and was soon drilling the young soldiers who had come from the homes and farms of Putnam County, Indiana towns and villages, and the campus of DePauw University and Wabash College. They trained on Greencastle’s Courthouse Square, and on July 23, 1861, Lilly marched his 21st Regiment of Indiana Volunteers up historic Washington Street and on to Indianapolis. Here they were ordered east to Baltimore, and Eli Lilly was at the same time promoted to the rank of Lieutenant under General Lockwood.
Then on July 9, 1862, recruiting posters again sprang up all over Putnam County, the old Lilly Drugstore was again designated as the Volunteer Headquarters (see poster opposite), and Lilly’s Hoosier Battery was organized. On August 24, 1862, this Battery was mustered into service with Lilly as Captain and ordered south to Louisville.
Under General Rosecrans, the 18th Battery took part in the battle at Hoover’s Gap: then in late 1863 and early ‘64, Lilly’s guns played crucial roles in the campaigns at Chicamauga, Thompson’s Cove, McMinnville and Farrington. Captain Lilly was one of the first Union officers to enter Chattanooga after its capture.
In April of 1864, Lilly, now a Major, returned to Greencastle to help organize the 9th Indiana Cavalry, which he led in the last year of the war. He was promoted to Colonel in 1865 and, after being released as a prisoner of war, was honorably discharged
Erected by Heritage Preservation Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1870.
Location. 39° 38.635′ N, 86° 51.814′ W. Marker is in Greencastle, Indiana, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of South Vine Street and East Washington Street (Road 231), on the right when traveling south on South Vine Street. Located on the "Heritage Wall". Top row - - fourth from the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greencastle IN 46135, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Percy Lavon Julian (1899-1975) (here, next to this marker); Cannon's Men's Wear 1891 -- 1985 (here, next to this marker); Abraham Lincoln's Biography (here, next to this marker); Julian Family Home (here, next to this marker); Eitel's Flowers (here, next to this marker); Donald J. Cook (1915 - 2005) (here, next to this marker); Women in Greencastle History (here, next to this marker); The Founding of the Lilly Family in Greencastle, Indiana (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greencastle.
Also see . . . Eli Lilly - Wikipedia(Submitted on June 23, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 987 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.