Winneccunnett Pond Area
Metacomet, chief sachem of the Wampanoags and called "King Philip" by the English, came to these shores to hunt and fish. A cave on Great Rocky Hill, not far from the pond is designated, as "King Philip's cave" it is presumed he used this cave for shelter when he came to hunt and fish in the area.
The house of Norton's first settler, William Witherell, built in 1669, was located on the east side of the pond. A marker commemorates the site. Sergeant William Witherell was seriously wounded in the Great Swamp Fight , an epic battle in King Philip's War. In 1685 he was granted a license to sell hard liquor by the general court in Plymouth . He opened what was possibly the first public house in Norton at this site.
Bay Road, an old Native American trail, is one of the oldest roads in Massachusetts. it linked Taunton , in the Plymouth Colony, To Boston in
Erected 2007 by Norton Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 58.194′ N, 71° 7.579′ W. Marker is in Norton, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Bay Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norton MA 02766, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Site of the First House in Norton (a few steps from this marker); First Burial Ground (a few steps from this marker); King Philip's Cave (approx. ¾ mile away); The Old Bay Road (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of First Church in Norton (approx. 3.2 miles away); Norton Common Burial Ground (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of the First Successful Iron Works in the Old Colony Memorial for Soldiers against Terrorism (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 581 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.