Near Cohocton in Steuben County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic New York
After the Revolution these lands were included in the Pulteney Purchase of one million acres acquired by a group of English speculators. Their agent Charles Williamson in 1793 founded Bath, which was planned as a trading center connected by water with the Susquehanna River and Baltimore, A frontier metropolis with mills, hotels, a newspaper, theatre and racetrack, it was overbuilt at a cost of one million dollars. Settlement did not keep pace with these improvements and in 1802 Williamson withdrew.
In the nineteenth century the tide of transportation moved north and westward. Wayland was a principal stage-coach stop on the Elmira-Buffalo Turnpike. Dansville near the headwaters of the valley was linked by canal to the Genesee River flowing northward.
Dansville became a health resort in 1858 with a sanitarium known for its food fads and water cure. In 1881, Clara Baron, a patient at the sanitarium, founded the American Red Cross. The defunct sanitarium was reopened in 1929,
Erected 1963 by State of New York Education Department & Department of Public Works.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Historic New York State series list.
Location. 42° 29.337′ N, 77° 29.401′ W. Marker is near Cohocton, New York, in Steuben County. Marker can be reached from South Main Street (New York State Route 415) 0.4 miles south of Mill Street, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located at the north end of rest area accessible from the either direction of traffic on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cohocton NY 14826, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Larrowe Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Naples (approx. 9 miles away); Naples c1859 - Powered by Grimes Creek (approx. 9.6 miles away); Grimes Glen (approx. 9.6 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 10˝ miles away); First Church (approx. 10.6 miles away); Memorial - Canesque, Chief of the Senecas (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cohocton.
Also see . . .
1. Charles Williamson: The Pulteney Estates in the Genesee Lands by John H. Martin. (Submitted on June 28, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. A History of Cohocton by Kera Sauerbier Sprague. (Submitted on June 28, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
3. History and Archives of Steuben County by James D. Folts. (Submitted on June 28, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.