Coinjock in Currituck County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal
Military Supply Route
The Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal opened in 1859, just before the Civil War began. It consisted of two “cuts” or locks: the first, in Virginia, linked the Elizabeth and North Landing Rivers south of Norfolk; the second, in North Carolina, joined Currituck Sound with the North River. Vessels could sail to and from Norfolk and Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds. Ships carried supplies via the canal to build Confederate Forts Hatteras and Clark on the Outer Banks. Between August
On May 16, 1863 thirty Confederate partisans from Pasquotank County jumped from the nearby Coinjock Bridge onto the side-wheel steamer Arrow and captured the crew then steered the vessel alongside the steamer Emily as if nothing had happened. The partisans took both ships, flying the Stars and Stripes up Albemarle Sound, Chowan River, and Blackwater River to Franklin, Va. En route, they picked up five African Americans who hailed them not knowing the crews were Confederates The exploit made headlines in the North Carolina newspapers.
U.S. Congressman George W. Julian of Indiana, a Republican member of the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War, took the mail boat Fawn to Roanoke Island to find out whether sutlers there were price-gouging the soldiers to whom they sold goods. On February 9,1864, on the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal, Confederates attacked the ship, killed or wounded 7 people, captured 29 passengers including Julian, and burned the Fawn. Julian was soon
George W. Julian Courtesy Library of Congress
Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal, ca. 1858 Courtesy University of North Carolina Libraries
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1862.
Location. 36° 20.834′ N, 75° 57.05′ W. Marker is in Coinjock, North Carolina, in Currituck County. Marker can be reached from Coinjock Canal Road, 0.2 miles east of Worth Guard Road, on the right when traveling east. Located in Veterans Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coinjock NC 27923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Currituck County Veterans Memorial Park (a few steps from this marker); American Liberty Anniversary Elm (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal (approx. half a mile away); Hijacking Maple Leaf (approx. 5.4 miles away); Ray T. Adam's Landing Strip (approx. The Whalehead Club Restoration (approx. 6.8 miles away); Duck Blinds (approx. 6.8 miles away); Waterfowl Resting Area (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coinjock.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.