Plymouth in Washington County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Plymouth
The iron-clad “Albemarle,” commanded by Capt. J. W. Cook, assisted in the capture. While at anchor 600 feet north of this spot, it was sunk by the enemy, Oct. 27, 1864.
Erected 1928 by North Carolina Historical Commission, Plymouth Chamber of Commerce.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is April 17, 1809.
Location. 35° 52.001′ N, 76° 44.928′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, North Carolina, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Adams Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Adams St, Plymouth NC 27962, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ram Albemarle (a few steps from this marker); Washington County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Rt. Rev. Alfred Augustin Watson Plymouth United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Latham House (about 600 feet away); Ausbon House (about 600 feet away); Cushing’s Torpedo (about 600 feet away); Siege of Plymouth, NC (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.