Salina in Saline County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
M60 Main Battle Tank
The M60 Main Battle Tank was developed to take the place of the aging M48 Patton Tank. It began production in 1959 and included an improved 105mm Main gun instead of the 90mm and a 750 cu. in. diesel engine instead of the gas engine of the Patton. 900 of them were produced for the Army with most being sent to Europe to counter the Soviet T-54 tank. It was later replaced by the improved M60A1 and then M60A3 tank.
Height 10 ft • Length 24 ft • Width 12 ft • Weight 54 tons
Speed (improved road) 35 mph • Speed (cross country) 25 mph
Main armament 105mm main gun
7.62 coax machine gun • 50 caliber machine gun
This tank was presented to the City of Salina
on December 7, 1992 by the
Kansas Army National Guard
Erected by City of Salina.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • War, Cold • War, Vietnam. A significant historical date for this entry is December 7, 1992.
Location. 38° 50.586′ N, 97° 36.792′ W. Marker is in Salina, Kansas, in Saline Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 West Ash Street, Salina KS 67401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Hall (a few steps from this marker); August Bondi (1833-1907) (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Founders of the Salina Town Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of First Free Ferry on Smoky Hill River (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fox-Watson Theatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Founders Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. John A. Logan (approx. ¾ mile away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salina.
More about this marker. Marker and tank are on the southwest grounds of Memorial Hall.
Also see . . . Development and History of the M-60 Tank. (Submitted on July 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.