El Dorado Springs in Cedar County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
El Dorado Spring
El Dorado Springs was founded around this spring in 1881 due to the waters medicinal value. The stone above marked its first site 75 ft. to the SE until 1890 when routed to this basin. During repairs in Sept. 1992, this sandstone slab was found covering an unknown manhole and tunnel built in 1906, date of last major repairs. To maintain the springs historic integrity, this slab replaced the 1906 stone, now on display at the museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Environment • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 52.576′ N, 94° 1.332′ W. Marker is in El Dorado Springs, Missouri, in Cedar County. Marker is at the spring in City Park, about 250 feet southwest of the intersection of Main Street (Missouri Route 82) and Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Dorado Springs MO 64744, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Park Dedication (a few steps from this marker); Grindstone Wash Basin (a few steps from this marker); Roy Bandy and Eddy Wilson Nathaniel H. and Waldo P. Cruce (within shouting distance of this marker); Prairie (within shouting distance of this marker); Former School Districts in El Dorado Springs R-2 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Missouri Bicentennial Wagon (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado Springs.
Also see . . .
1. Discovery of the Spring and Birth of the Town. (Submitted on July 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. City of El Dorado Springs Town History. (Submitted on July 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.