Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Bainbridge Volunteers
The Bainbridge Independents
Organized 1859, by
Captain Charles G. Campbell,
assembled here in March 1861 and
entered service under the command
of Captain John W. Evans as
Company G, 1st Georgia Regiment
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1861.
Location. 30° 54.371′ N, 84° 34.561′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Broad Street (U.S. 27) and West Broughton Street. The marker is in the center of Willis Park, at the Confederate Monument. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); De Soto Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Decatur County (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Recovery (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 609 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.