Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Cruft's Division - Granger's Corps.
— Col. William Grose. —
Cruft's Division - Granger's Corps.
Col. William Grose.
Nov. 25th, 1863
59th Illinois - Maj. Clayton Hale,
75th Illinois - Col. John E. Bennett,
84th Illinois - Col. Louis H. Waters,
9th Indiana - Col. Isaac C. B. Suman,
36th Indiana - Maj. Gilbert Trusler,
24th Ohio - Capt. George M. Bacon.
The Brigade left Lookout Mountain with Hooker's column about 10 o'clock A.M., reaching Rossville about 4 P.M., having been delayed by the destruction of a bridge over Chattanooga Creek. It followed Osterhaus' Division into the Gap. When opposite the point of Missionary Ridge on its left it was ordered to carry that position. The Brigade advanced at 4 o'clock, the 9th Indiana leading, supported by the 59th Illinois on the left. After the center had reached the summit, two regiments of Whitaker's Brigade went forward on the left of the 2d and 3d lines on the slope. The 84th Illinois and 36th Indiana formed the second line, the 75th Illinois and 24th Ohio the third. Thus formed, with Geary's Division moving along the western and Osterhaus'
Erected 1890 by Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Battlefield Commission. (Marker Number MT-114.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Missionary Ridge, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 marker series.
Location. 34° 59.224′ N, 85° 16.669′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road west of Waheela Road, on the left when traveling south. This historic marker is located in an area of South Crest Road with no truly safe area for parking anywhere nearby. This is largely due to the sharp bend in the road, with a lengthy guard rail on one side and a low, stone walled embankment, on the other side of the road, in the area where this marker is located. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Whitaker's Brigade (here, next to this marker); 40th Ohio Infantry (here, next to this marker); 99th Ohio Infantry Cruft's Division (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Cruft's Division (a few steps from this marker); 24th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Cruft's Division (approx. 0.2 miles away in Georgia); Woods' Brigade (approx. ¼ mile away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding Grose's Brigade. While this tablet identifies both the location and role played during the military action of this particular Brigade, as well as listing the regimental units that make up this Brigade, not all of its listed regiments have individual markers and/or tablets for the park visitor to view. So of the regiments listed for Grose's Brigade, all of them except for the 9th Indiana & 36th Indiana have either a marker or a tablet for visitors to view. In explaining this, the NPS staff state the following,
"There is no indication that there ever were bronze tablets (for these units)...the answer to that question is probably another that would have to be addressed to whatever records survive in the ... state archives respectively
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Use this link to see the Regimental markers, tablets, and/or monuments for this Brigade (except for the 9th Indiana & 36th Indiana which never had markers).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Grose's Brigade.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 23, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on July 11, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.