Near Manassas in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Lucinda Dogan House
This small frame house stands as the only surviving original structure of the crossroad village of Groveton. Widow Lucinda Dogan and her five young children moved here shortly after their residence, “Peach Grove,” burned in 1860. The family joined to smaller outbuildings to create the present dwelling.
The house was repeatedly caught in the crossfire of opposing Union and Confederate armies during the Second Battle of Manassas. Numerous bullets and shell fragments scarred the structure. Years later, the family sought compensation for property damage during the war. The government denied the claim.
Erected 2012 by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 38° 48.783′ N, 77° 32.941′ W. Marker is near Manassas, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Featherbed Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6518 Featherbed Ln, Manassas VA 20109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Groveton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Groveton Confederate Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Manassas National Battlefield Park (about 600 feet away); Federal Artillery Position (about 800 feet away); Brooklyn Fourteenth (about 800 feet away); Twilight Clash (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fighting in Twilight (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Groveton Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
More about this marker. The marker features a photograph captioned The Dogan House as it appeared circa 1940.
Also see . . .
1. A Great Woman Gone. Article, Manassas Journal, July 22, 1910 (Submitted on July 30, 2012.)
2. Dogan House. Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, Nomination Form (Submitted on July 30, 2012.)
3. Old marker replaced by this marker. (Submitted on August 6, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2012. This page has been viewed 996 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 30, 2012. 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2023, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on July 30, 2012. 6. submitted on April 25, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.