Avera in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Alexander Avera
Oct 3, 1830 – Jan. 11, 1907
Beloved physician and founder of the town of Avera.
In 1885 he donated the land for the town which was named in his honor.
Born in Jefferson County, GA. Graduated Oglethorpe Medical College, Savannah, GA. He, as a Lieutenant, formed a company and served with honor in the War Between The States.
He gave liberally of his time, skill and means in the service of others and it was said of him “he loved his fellow man”
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 11.633′ N, 82° 31.617′ W. Marker is in Avera, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Georgia Route 102) and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Avera GA 30803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glascock County National Bicentennial Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away); Glascock County Veterans Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away); Glascock County (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sylvan Grove (approx. 4.8 miles away); Calvin Logue Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away); William John Wren (approx. 8.2 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 8.3 miles away); Old Quaker Road (approx. 8˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.