Petersburg in Grant County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Maple Hill Cemetery
Brief Peace in the Midst of War
When the Federals learned of an impending Confederate attack, however, they burned the church to prevent the capture of its stores. Later, other Union troops used bricks from the burned church in the floors of their tents and winter cabins west of here at Fort Mulligan.
A frame church was later constructed here. In 1878, the congregation moved to North Main Street, erected a brick church, and named it Petersburg Presbyterian Church on October 16, 1880. The Federal government reimbursed the congregation $2,000 in 1916 for burning
Numerous Confederate soldiers who served in the 18th Virginia Cavalry are buried here, as well as Lt. Isaac S. Wilton, one of McNeill’s Rangers. He took part in the raid on Cumberland, Maryland, on February 21, 1865, when the unit captured Union Gens. George Crook and Benjamin F. Kelley at hotels there.
(Sidebar): Mount Zion Presbyterian Church was constructed about 1838 on a tract that Hanson Bryan donated. In this graveyard lies the remains of the Rev. William N. Scott, the pioneer Presbyterian minister in Grant County, who came here in May 1822 and organized the Presbyterian congregations at Old Fields, Moorefield, and Petersburg. He died on January 24, 1857. The graveyard is now known as Maple Hill Cemetery.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1863.
Location. 38° 59.94′ N, 79° 7.47′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, West Virginia, in Grant County. Marker is on North Main Street. Located in Maple Hill Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Main Street, Petersburg WV 26847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Mulligan (approx. half a mile away); Petersburg (approx. half a mile away); The Tannery in Petersburg, WV (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fort Mulligan (approx. 0.7 miles away); A Strategic Location (approx. 0.8 miles away); Parrott Rifle (approx. 0.8 miles away); Civil War Cannons (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Irish Brigade & the McNeill Rangers / The Civil War Comes to Hardy County (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.