Franklin in Franklin County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Present Franklin County was formerly a part of the buffalo hunting range of the Pawnee Indians, whose villages were at one time located further down the valley of the Republican River. Cheyenne and Sioux hunting parties also frequented the area prior to 1869, when Genral Carr's Republican River Expedition cleared the valley of hostiles, opening the region to white settlement.
In September 1870, the Thompson Colony founded Riverton in the eastern part of the county, and the Republican Land and Claim Association or Knight Colony arrived on November 25th, to found the town of Franklin. In the Spring of 1871, a small Negro colony attempted to found a settlement, but their lack of finances forced its abandonment.
By proclamation of Governor Butler, the county was organized on March 3, 1871, with Franklin as the county seat. Nearby Bloomington, site of the U.S. Land Office for the region, won the county seat in 1874, where it remained until 1920. With the arrival of the railroad in 1879, this fertile country was soon settled by homesteaders, many of whose descendants still reside here. Founded during years of depression
Erected by Franklin County Centennial Committe and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 140.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 3, 1871.
Location. 40° 5.834′ N, 98° 57.228′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Nebraska, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Avenue and N Street, on the left when traveling north on 15th Avenue. Marker is on the southeast county courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 15th Avenue, Franklin NE 68939, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dupee Hall of Music (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Franklin County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Franklin Congregational Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Lockheed F-80 (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Welcome to Franklin County, Nebraska. (Submitted on September 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.