Port Edwards in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
John Jones 2nd Burial Site
John Jones 1st gravesite has been located in the Ivy Green Cemetery in Bremerton, Washington. He married Jane Ward in Grand Rapids (now Wisconsin Rapids) in 1860. After his service in the Civil War, the family farmed south of Plainfield until they moved west in 1879.
National Archives records show the original tombstone here was shipped to Port Edwards in 1879. Jones' death date is listed as 1865. The local G.A.R. post ordered a second tombstone in 1910 engraved to include "2nd" after John Jones name, and was set in Forest Hill Cemetery in Wisconsin Rapids. It is not known why the second stone was placed in Forest Hill. A survey of this Port Edwards site by the Ho-Chunk Nation in 1997 using ground-penetrating radar did show a burial. The Forest Hill site has not yet been surveyed to determine whether there is in fact a burial there.
It is possible that John Jones 2nd is the man mentioned in a letter from John Edwards Jr. to his father, John Edwards Sr.,
Detailed biographical information has been found for John Jones 1st, but almost none for John Jones 2nd.
The new tombstone on this site was provided by the Veterans Administration in 2005.
Domtar Industries Inc. funded the installation of the stone and continues to maintain this historic site.
Erected by Domtar Industries Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 44° 21′ N, 89° 51.338′ W. Marker is in Port Edwards, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker can be reached from Wisconsin River Drive (State Highway 73) north of Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is in a wooded area along the west bank of the Wisconsin River, upriver from the nearby dam. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Edwards WI 54469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Edwards Jr. Office Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Edwards Jr. (approx. ¾ mile away); Centralia Pulp and Paper Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Wood County Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Great Pine (approx. 1.7 miles away); Assistant Chief Michael J. Kilpatrick (approx. 1.7 miles away); Milwaukee Gasoline Locomotive (approx. 1.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Edwards.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,091 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.