Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Capitol
Here, March 12, 1773, Dabney Carr offered and the convention of Virginia unanimously adopted the resolutions to appoint a committee to correspond with similar committees in the other colonies: the first step taken towards the union of the states.
Here, May 15, 1776, the convention of Virginia through resolutions, drafted by Edmund Pendleton, offered by Thomas Nelson, Jr. advocated by Patrick Henry, unanimously called on congress to declare the colonies free and independent states.
Here, June 12, 1776, was adopted by the convention the immortal work of George Mason, The Declaration of Rights; and on June 29, 1776. The first written Constitution of a free and independent state ever framed.
Erected by Members of the House of Burgesses.
Location. 37° 16.294′ N, 76° 41.599′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Duke of Glouscester Street, Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Capitol (a few steps from this marker); The Secretary's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Charlton's Coffeehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Public Gaol (about 300 feet away); Presbyterian Meetinghouse (about 500 feet away); Pasteur & Galt Apothecary Shop (about 500 feet away); The Raleigh Tavern (about 700 feet away); Wetherburn's Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government & Politics • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for The Old Capitol.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 25, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.