Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Secretary's Office

 
 
The Secretary's Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
1. The Secretary's Office Marker
Inscription.  Officials decided to build the Secretary's Office in which to protect the public papers of the Virginia colony after a fire destroyed the first Capitol in 1747. Completed in 1748, the building was designed to be fireproof. This building also contained an office for the Secretary of the colony.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1747.
 
Location. 37° 16.319′ N, 76° 41.624′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is on East Duke of Glouscester Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Duke of Glouscester Street, Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); The Public Gaol (within shouting distance of this marker); Charlton's Coffeehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Pasteur & Galt Apothecary Shop (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Raleigh Tavern
The Secretary's Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
2. The Secretary's Office Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 600 feet away); Presbyterian Meetinghouse (about 600 feet away); Wetherburn's Tavern (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
The Secretary's Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
3. The Secretary's Office Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 348 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60300

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2021