Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Presbyterian Church

 
 
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
1. Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  The Presbyterian Church was organized in Franklin by the Reverend Gideon Blackburn on June 8, 1811 and first located near City Cemetery. The church moved to this location in 1842. The Reverend A.N. Cunningham was pastor from 1843 to 1857. In 1847, he founded Franklin Female Institute, which was temporarily housed here. After the Battle of Franklin, the building was used as a hospital by Federal troops and severely damaged. In 1888 a house of worship in the Romanesque Revivial style of H.H. Richardson was erected. After a fire in 1905, the church was rebuilt in 1908. In 1992, those members of the congregation that wished to remain on this historic site, organized the Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church.
 
Erected 1997 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1831.
 
Location. 35° 55.434′ N, 86° 52.287′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 615 West Main Street, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 432-438 Main Street (a few steps from this marker); 430 Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Chickasaw Treaty Council (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); Field Hospitals (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamson County (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 403-405 Main Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Presbyterian Church Marker- side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
2. Presbyterian Church Marker- side 2
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
3. Presbyterian Church Marker
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, December 8, 2012
4. Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61726

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024