Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
LaGrange in Oldham County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Oldham County, 1824

 
 
Oldham County, 1824 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 20, 2012
1. Oldham County, 1824 Marker
Inscription.  

Taken from parts of Jefferson, Shelby, and Henry counties, it was the 74th formed.

Named for Col. William Oldham, native Virginian, officer in War of Revolution. Commanded regiment of Kentucky militia in ill-fated Indian campaign on Wabash River in 1791, led by General St. Clair. Oldham was one of over 800 killed in battle, half of troops engaged.
 
Erected 1969 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1251.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1791.
 
Location. 38° 24.516′ N, 85° 22.79′ W. Marker is in LaGrange, Kentucky, in Oldham County. Marker is on Jefferson Street (Kentucky Route 146) west of 1st Avenue (Kentucky Route 53), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Jefferson Street, La Grange KY 40031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Oldham County, 1824 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 20, 2012
2. Oldham County, 1824 Marker
Former location (38.407786N 85.379061W), showing county courthouse in background
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within walking distance of this marker. Funk Seminary Site (within shouting distance of this marker); William Berry Taylor of Spring Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); James and Amanda Mount Home / J.C. Barnett Library and Archives (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel William Oldham (about 400 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); 104 East Main Street (about 500 feet away); A Masonic Leader (approx. 0.2 miles away); William T. Barbour House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaGrange.
 
More about this marker. Marker was relocated from the county courthouse grounds between 2012 and 2016.
 
Also see . . .  Oldham County, Kentucky, Clerk Official Website. (Submitted on December 15, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Oldham County, 1824 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 26, 2016
3. Oldham County, 1824 Marker
Relocated location
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on July 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61868

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2021