Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Stone House
The Old Stone House, part of the Landmark District of Georgetown, is the only surviving pre-Revolutionary building in the capital. The house stands on its original site, lot #3, one of eighty lots surveyed in the port of Georgetown in 1751.
Christopher Layman, a carpenter, is believed to have begun construction of the house in 1764. In 1766 Layman’s widow, Rachael, had the front portion of the house completed. The National Park Service acquired the building during the Sesquicentennial of Washington under an act of Congress approved September 25, 1950.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical date for this entry is September 25, 1830.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 54.321′ N, 77° 3.616′ W. Marker was in Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker was at the intersection Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 3051 M Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Only Constant is Change (here, next to this marker); Nathan Loughborough's Houses (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Sim Lee Corner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ross and Getty House (about 300 feet away); M Street - A Road Well Traveled (about 300 feet away); 5 Congress at Oak Alley (about 300 feet away); Georgetown and the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal (about 400 feet away); Creating a National Park (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
Also see . . . The Old Stone House - National Park Service. (Submitted on December 21, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 612 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 10, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.