Fond du Lac in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The retreating glacier deposited gravel and rocks that blocked ancient northward flowing drainage systems thereby creating a large lake known as Glacial Lake Oshkosh. Centuries later a portion of this lake became Lake Winnebago and its adjacent marshlands.
From that time forward, Supple's Marsh has been a haven for fish and game. Here was where the Winnebago Indian fished and hunted long before the white man appeared. As the years progressed, white hunters and anglers took over, concentrating on the marsh for profit, sport, and food.
On March 25, 1929, Mathias Supple purchased the marsh from the Wisconsin Central Land Co., the holding firm for the Soo Line Railway. The Supple family started a fur farm here in 1932, harvesting as many as 6,000 muskrats in one year.
The City of Fond du Lac acquired the 240 acre marsh from the Supple family in 1967. Hunting and trapping are banned now and Supple's Marsh has become a nature conservancy for all to enjoy.
Topics. This historical Environment • Horticulture & Forestry • Natural Features. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1861.
Location. 43° 47.725′ N, 88° 27.656′ W. Marker is in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in Fond du Lac County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 45 and Howard Litscher Memorial Drive, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 45. Marker is at the entrance to Lakeside Park West. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fond du Lac WI 54937, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. G. A. R. Memorial Drive (approx. 0.7 miles away); Locomotive No. 2714 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Spanish–American War Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Military Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); Wisconsin Progressive Party (approx. 1.6 miles away); North Fond du Lac Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Union Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fond du Lac.
Also see . . . Original newspaper article on the opening of Supple Marsh. (Submitted on September 6, 2013, by Trevor Morris of Fond du lac, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on December 22, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 22, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.