Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jonestown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1781 Friends Meeting House

 
 
1781 Friends Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 16, 2008
1. 1781 Friends Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  The Friends Meeting House is the oldest religious building in Baltimore. In 1781, the Patapsco Friends Meeting, formerly located on Harford Road two miles north of the Inner Harbor, moved to this site. In 1784 a group of Quakers established a school here, which "provided guarded education for their children." The school eventually became the Friends School of Baltimore.

By the mid eighteenth century the Society of Friends exerted a strong influence socially, politically, and economically in Baltimore. Among the influential Baltimore Quakers who worshipped at this site were Philip E. Thomas (first President of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad) Johns Hopkins, Moses Sheppard (philanthropist) and the Ellicott family (who founded Ellicott City). Meeting members Elisha Tyson, Robert Townsend, and James Carey organized the Baltimore Abolition Society in 1789. In 1796, they were successful in overturning a 1753 law that forbade the freeing of slaves (manumisson) at the time of their owners' death. On occasion, the Baltimore Abolition Society was represented in court by Francis Scott Key. By the first decade of the nineteenth Century, Baltimore
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Quakers were deeply involved in the Committee of Indian Affairs, which advocated and at times litigated on behalf of the rights of Native Americans.
 
Erected by the City of Baltimore, William Donald Schaefer, mayor, rededicated 2005 by Martin O'Malley, mayor.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RRChurches & ReligionCivil RightsIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers, and the Quakerism series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1781.
 
Location. 39° 17.51′ N, 76° 36.075′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. It is in Jonestown. Marker is at the intersection of North Asiquith Street and East Fayette Street, on the right when traveling north on North Asiquith Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 East Fayette Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. On to Yorktown (a few steps from this marker); McKim Free School (within shouting distance of this marker); Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also
Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 16, 2008
2. Friends Meeting House
Marker is to the left of the front door.
named Lloyd Street Synagogue (about 500 feet away); 1029 East Baltimore Street (about 500 feet away); 1023 East Baltimore Street (about 600 feet away); 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street (about 600 feet away); B'nai Israel Synagogue (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 16, 2008
3. Friends Meeting House
Elisha Tyson (1749-1824) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
4. Elisha Tyson (1749-1824)
Close-up of image on marker
1781 Friends Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
5. 1781 Friends Meeting House
The Old Town Friends Meeting house has two doors on the south side one for men and one for women to enter the building.
Pastor Charles Dunn Jr. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
6. Pastor Charles Dunn Jr.
The meetinghouse is currently used by the Freedom Missionary Community Church. Here Pastor Dunn stands in front of the partition that originally separated men from women during meetings.
Old Town Meeting House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, August 28, 2016
7. Old Town Meeting House
The oldest House of Worship in Baltimore
Society of Friends
1781

Restored 1967 by the City of Baltimore
Theodore R. McKeldin, Mayor
&
McKim Community Association, Inc.
Philip Myers, Chairman, Building Committee
This sign is stored inside the Meeting House building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,834 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   4, 5, 6. submitted on August 30, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   7. submitted on September 18, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6282

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024