Fincastle in Botetourt County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Col. William Preston constructed Fort William nearby in 1755 during the French and Indian War (1754 – 1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia’s frontier. A group of Indians paid a friendly visit in Oct. 1755, and Col. George Washington inspected the fort during his frontier tour in 1756. Indians attacked the fort in Oct. 1756 but were repulsed. In 1763, during Pontiac’s War (1763 – 1764), nearby settlers flocked to Fort William for protection.
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number D-29.)
Location. 37° 27.336′ N, 79° 53.423′ W. Marker is in Fincastle, Virginia, in Botetourt County. Marker is at the intersection of Roanoke Road (U.S. 220) and Trinity Road, on the right when traveling north on Roanoke Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fincastle VA 24090, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenfield (approx. 1.6 miles away); Santillane (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fincastle (approx. 3.1 miles away); Botetourt County Courthouse Fire Breckinridge Mill (approx. 3.3 miles away); Daleville College (approx. 3.9 miles away); Coming of the Railroad (approx. 3.9 miles away); Cloverdale Furnace (was approx. 5.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fincastle.
Categories. • War, French and Indian •
More. Search the internet for Fort William.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.