Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Capitol District in Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Genevieve Blatt (1913 - 1996)

 
 
Genevieve Blatt (1913 - 1996) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
1. Genevieve Blatt (1913 - 1996) Marker
Inscription.  One of the most influential women in Pennsylvania politics in the 20th century. First woman to be elected to a statewide office, Secretary of Internal Affairs, and to be nominated by a major party to run for the U.S. Senate. Elected to the Commonwealth Court in 1973, she wrote the 1975 opinion that gave girls equal access to school sports. Blatt lived at 115 North Street for twenty-five years.
 
Erected 2000 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil RightsEducationSportsWomen. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1973.
 
Location. 40° 15.765′ N, 76° 53.34′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. It is in the Capitol District. Marker is at the intersection of North Front Street and Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south on North Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 N Front St, Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Civic Club of Harrisburg (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Donald Cameron (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); J. Donald Cameron Mansion (about 300 feet away); Parish Church of St. Lawrence (Former) (about 300 feet away); William Maclay Mansion (about 300 feet away); St. Michael’s Lutheran Church (about 300 feet away); The Harrisburg Cotton Factory and The Central YMCA (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Genevieve Blatt Papers. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. Genevieve Blatt - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,631 times since then and 57 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6308

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024