Newton in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Newton Burial Ground
Oldest portion dedicated in 1762 as part of Town Plot. Enlarged about 1820. Job S. Halsted donated 3/5 acre in 1837 to Presbyterian Church. Enclosed by wall in 1837. By 1876, burials estimated at 5000 including many of the earliest settlers of the County.
Erected 1986 by The Sussex County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 3.385′ N, 74° 45.197′ W. Marker is in Newton, New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 206) and Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located behind the houses on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton NJ 07860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hill Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Thomas Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Defenders of the Union (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moody’s Raids (about 600 feet Newton Green (about 600 feet away); Sussex County (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Newton Green (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Old Newton Burial Ground.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.