Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Stockton

CSA

 
 
Fort Stockton CSA Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Zacharias Timms, December 29, 2010
1. Fort Stockton CSA Marker
Monument/historical marker dedicated to the Confederate presence at the old Fort Stockton in 1861 and 1862. It is located on the southeast corner of the Pecos County Courthouse lawn.
Inscription.  (Front):
After Federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico campaign 1861-1862, designed to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. At times this area was the center of Comanche and Apache activities. California Union troops dominated area 1862-65. Stopover on way west for many Union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war.


A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy
Erected by the State of Texas


(Reverse):
Texas Civil War Frontier Defense. 1861-1865. 90,000 Texas troops served the South. Source of supply and gateway to vital trade thru Mexico, Texas was store-house of the western Confederacy. Texas also had to guard a 2,000 mile frontier and coastline from Union troops and the constant threat of savage Indians. 200 miles east, frontier defenders set up a line of camps separated by a day's ride from the Red River to the Rio Grande. A few Confederate troops joined by rangers, the organized militia, and citizens' posses held
Fort Stockton C.S.A. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Zacharias Beau T, December 29, 2010
2. Fort Stockton C.S.A.
reverse
Click or scan to see
this page online
on until war's end though short on mounts and arms.
 
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2023.)
 
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Civil RightsWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 30° 52.942′ N, 102° 52.808′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Memorial is on West James Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West James Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Fort Stockton (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Old Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (about 300 feet away); Pecos County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Oldest House (about 600 feet away); Annie Riggs Hotel (about 600 feet away); Grey Mule Saloon (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Oldest House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
 
Additional keywords. Confederacy, Pecos County, Pecos River, West Texas, Henry Sibley
 
Fort Stockton C.S.A. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Zacharias Beau T, December 29, 2010
3. Fort Stockton C.S.A.
SW corner of the county courthouse lawn.
Fort Stockton CSA Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, August 30, 2019
4. Fort Stockton CSA Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2010, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2013, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on December 30, 2010, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on March 2, 2013, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas.   4. submitted on October 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63592

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 28, 2022