Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Hagarís Rockport Cottages

 
 
The Hagerís Rockport Cottages Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Norman Frank, March 6, 2013
1. The Hagerís Rockport Cottages Marker
Inscription.  This property was the site of the famous Rockport Cottages purchased in 1934 by Connie and Jack Hagar from Corsicana, Texas. Jack managed the cottages while Connie (1886–1973) pursued her passion for nature. Birds were Connieís major interest, which ultimately gained her international recognition and the nickname, “The Bird Lady from Texas.”

When Connie began reporting her bird findings in Aransas county, she was looked upon with suspicion by ornithologists and serious bird watchers. However, she challenged them to come and see for themselves.

They did, and they became believers, making her the catalyst for putting Rockport and Aransas County on every naturalistís list of “must see” locations in the United States. Connie became a legend in her time.

After Connie Hagar died in 1973, the property remained undeveloped. The cottages were torn down or removed. In 1990, local residents of the Rockport area formed the FRIENDS OF CONNIE HAGAR, Inc. In 1994, through donations, grants, and gifts, the Friends purchased the property. It is a bird sanctuary, nature education center, historical
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
site, and an area dedicated to preserving the legacy of Connie Hagar. The sanctuary was designated as site #1 on the Great Texas Birding Trail. The trail and sanctuary were dedicated by Roger Tory Peterson in 1996.
 
Erected 2012 by Aransas Pathways and Friends of Connie Hagar.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsEnvironmentMan-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1934.
 
Location. 28° 0.556′ N, 97° 3.584′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of East First Street and South Chruch Street (Texas Highway 70), on the right when traveling west on East First Street. There is a short hiking trail through the property. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Heldenfels Shipyard (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Cedars (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old Beach Road (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hynes-Balthrope House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mathis House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Baylor-Norvell House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Shipyards in Rockport (approx. 0.9 miles away); Moore House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
 
Related marker.
Viewing stand with marker on left and sign on right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Norman Frank, March 6, 2013
2. Viewing stand with marker on left and sign on right
Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Sign for Hagerís Rockport Cottages Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Norman Frank, March 6, 2013
3. Sign for Hagerís Rockport Cottages Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2013, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. This page has been viewed 694 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 7, 2013, by Norman Frank of Rockport, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63659

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 22, 2024