Near Williamstown in Jefferson County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Kansa Indians (Kaw) came to this region from the forested southeast. They lived in permanent longhouses covered with bark and cultivated corn, beans, and squash. In their western hunting grounds they captured buffalo and other large animals. By the mid 18th century the Kansa considered most of northern and eastern Kansas their home. Through contact with Europeans and Americans, the Kansa contracted foreign diseases that had a devastating effect on their population. In 1825 the Kansa were forced to agree to a treaty that reduced their land to 10 percent of its original size. Two years later the government established an agency to protect the interests of the United States 2.5 miles southeast of here. It was the goal of the government to change the Kansa into American farmers, stripping them of their traditional way of life. In 1846 the Kansa were again forced to move, this time to an even smaller reservation near Council Grove.
After the death of his mother U.S. Vice President Charles Curtis lived on the Kansa reservation with his mother’s family. Today the Kaw Nation is headquartered in Oklahoma. The state of Kansas is
Erected 2012 by the State of Kansas. (Marker Number 95.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Environment • Government & Politics • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Kansas Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 39° 4.133′ N, 95° 20.738′ W. Marker is near Williamstown, Kansas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on U.S. 24 ¾ mile west of U.S. 59, on the right when traveling west. Marker is at a roadside turnout. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perry KS 66073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Democratic Headquarters (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lane University (approx. 3 miles away); Sheriff Samuel J. Jones (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lecompton Constitution Hall (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lecompton (approx. 5.8 miles away); Coon Point (approx. 5.8 miles away); Kansas River Flood Levels (approx. 7.8 miles away); First United Brethren in Christ Church in Kansas (approx. 8.4 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced old historical marker 95 "Kansa Indian Agency"
Also see . . .
1. The Kaw Nation Official Site. (Submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Kaw Mission State Historic Site, Council Grove KS(Submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on October 6, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 3. submitted on March 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.