Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Oldest Commercial Building in Richmond

1817

 
 
The Oldest Commercial Building in Richmond Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 3, 2013
1. The Oldest Commercial Building in Richmond Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1817, this structure is the oldest commercial building in Richmond. As this building was being built, James Madison, a Virginian, was serving as the 4th President of the United States.

During the Civil War, the Union Army passed by this spot on their way into Richmond. This area was the heart of the Confederate Civil War hospital, prison and supply district.

Originally a lumberhouse, It has served the community as a brewery, soap and candle factory, saddle factory, gunsmith and produce market. The storefront was added in 1909 to depict the popular Greek Revival style of architecture.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #04 James Madison series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
 
Location. 37° 32.024′ N, 77° 25.619′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North 18th Street (U.S. 360) and East Franklin Street, on the left when traveling north on North 18th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
The Oldest Commercial Building in Richmond Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, April 3, 2013
2. The Oldest Commercial Building in Richmond Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Origins of Richmond (here, next to this marker); Francis Asbury (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate General Hospital No. 12 (about 400 feet away); Lockwood Double House, 1845 (about 500 feet away); Craig House (about 500 feet away); The Oldest House (about 700 feet away); Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (about 800 feet away); Early Quakers in Richmond (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
N 18th St & E Franklin St image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher
3. N 18th St & E Franklin St
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 566 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   3. submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64131

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 17, 2022