Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5619.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 29° 12.613′ N, 99° 47.172′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of Getty Street (U.S. 83) and Main Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling north on Getty Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Uvalde County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Kincaid Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Texas Wagon Yards (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice Hotel and Saddlery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Uvalde "Leader-News" (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Wood Black (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
More about this marker. The bronze plaque atop the stone was placed in 1965. The 1936 Texas Centennial - Highway Marker (pink granite) with bronze circle and star was placed in 1936 when Texas placed one of these markers on each courthouse lawn in the state.
1. Original Location and Inscription
The marker was originally installed in 1936 3.9 miles east of Uvalde on US 90. The original marker read:
Recreated February 2, 1856
Organized April 21, 1856
The county takes its name
from Uvalde Canyon, which
was named for Juan de Ugalde,
Governor of Coahuila in 1778
Uvalde, the county seat
In 1965 the marker was restored, a new inscription tablet with revised text was placed on the marker, and the marker was moved from its original location to its present location.
(Source: Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence. Austin, Texas: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938. Page 196.)
— Submitted July 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.