Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Vineland in Pueblo County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

San Carlos de los Jupes

 
 
San Carlos de los Jupes Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 18, 2013
1. San Carlos de los Jupes Marker
Inscription.  By 1700 Comanches moved south from the northern Rockies onto the plains of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. They raided the Apaches and Spanish settlements from the late 1600s until 1779 when the Governor of New Mexico, Don Juan Bautista de Anza, decisively defeated a large group, led by Cuerno Verde in a battle near the mountains to the southwest of here. The Comanches signed a peace treaty in 1786, and a year later the asked for Spanish assistance to build a permanent farm village. The Spanish provided workmen, tools, farming implements, seed and livestock to help found San Carlos de los Jupes, but Comanche religious beliefs caused abandonment of the village within a year because a member of the tribe died there. It is believed that San Carlos de los Jupes was built just west of here at the confluence of the Arkansas and San Carlos rivers. Although this early Spanish attempt to colonize Plains Indians failed, the Comanches were comparatively friendly towards the New Mexican settlements thereafter.
 
Erected 1972 by the State Historical Society of Colorado, the Arkansas Valley Chapter of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Colorado Department of Highways through the Robert S. Ellison Memorial Fund. (Marker Number 161.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Colorado - History Colorado, and the Daughters of the American Revolution series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1700.
 
Location. 38° 15.863′ N, 104° 27.474′ W. Marker is near Vineland, Colorado, in Pueblo County. Marker is at the intersection of Lane 36 (State Highway 231) and Santa Fe Drive (U.S. 50), on the left when traveling north on Lane 36. Marker is just south of the Arkansas River bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pueblo CO 81006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jacob Fowler's Lookout - Fountain City (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Mormon Battalion (approx. 8 miles away); Fort Pueblo (approx. 8.3 miles away); Teresita Sandoval (approx. 8.3 miles away); Borderland - Pueblo / Railroads - Pueblo Country (approx. 8.4 miles away); Temple Emanuel (approx. 8.4 miles away); Pueblo - Trail Days / Industrial Frontier - Pinon County (approx. 15.3 miles away).
 
More about this
San Carlos de los Jupes Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, April 18, 2013
2. San Carlos de los Jupes Marker
marker.
Mrs. John B. Farley of the DAR Arkansas Valley Chapter did the research for the text of this marker, which was erected September 30, 1972 for the Colorado Bicentennial. Source: Colorado Historical Markers compiled and edited by Junann J. Stieghorst, 1978
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,130 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64775

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024