Hartford in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Scion of the Charter Oak
Planted 19 October 1871 by
First Company Governor's Foot Guard
White Oak (Quercus atba L)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Environment • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical date for this entry is September 23, 1865.
Location. 41° 45.829′ N, 72° 40.747′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street and Clinton Street, on the left when traveling east on Elm Street. Located in Bushnell Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hartford CT 06106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chapman-Taft House (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Confucius (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. Thomas Knowlton (about 700 feet away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch (about 700 feet away); Trinity College (about 700 feet away); 1st Connecticut Heavy ArtilleryJoseph Roswell Hawley (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Regarding Scion of the Charter Oak. The Charter Oak is part of Connecticut’s history and lore. The tree, which grew in Hartford, was used in 1687 to hide the Connecticut Charter, issued by the King of England, to prevent its confiscation by the newly appointed governor. Seedlings from the large oak tree were planted in many places throughout Connecticut. Most have a small inconspicuous marker.
Also see . . . Charter Oak on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 5, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,233 times since then and 66 times this year. Last updated on May 1, 2013, by Wayne A. Donohue of West Harford, Ct.. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.