Huntington in Huntington County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canal Landing on Washington Street / Jefferson Park Mall
Canal Landing on Washington Street.
The Huntington Landing started 120 feet west on Washington St and continued to the lock at Cherry St. The Wabash & Erie canal was 4 feet deep and 100 feet wide as this point. Other locks were at First St. and Byron St. The Canal was completed from Fort Wayne to Huntington on July 4, 1854, and from Toledo to Evansville, 459 miles, in 1854. The Canal preceded the railroad to Huntington by 20 years, spurring early settlement. The Canal was abandoned in 1873.
Jefferson Park Mall
Indiana's First Tax-Free Mall
Jefferson Street was closed to motor traffic and transformed into a landscpaed and lighted walkway by private financial contributors in 1969. Jefferson Street was the Huntington segment of a pioneer route - the Fort Recovery to Goshen Road - travelled by settlers from Ohio to Lake Michigan and northwest areas in the 1830's. Here the Road bridged the Wabash & Erie Canal.
Erected by Huntington Mall Merchants Association. (Marker Number 35.1973.1.)
Topics and series. This historical Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers, and the Wabash & Erie Canal series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1801.
Location. 40° 52.963′ N, 85° 29.74′ W. Marker is in Huntington, Indiana, in Huntington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Jefferson Street and East Washington on North Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntington IN 46750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moore-Carlew Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock House (about 400 feet away); Burk's Lock (about 500 feet away); Dr. Otto U. King, 1873-1951 / Otto U. King, D.D.S, F.A.C.D. (about 600 feet away); Huntington County War Memorial (about 800 feet away); Ex Parte Milligan (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Huntington County Boys, who lost their lives in the World War.The Huntington County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,622 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on May 9, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 5. submitted on May 2, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.