Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamson in Wayne County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First White Men

 
 
First White Men Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Yugoboy, March 24, 2013
1. First White Men Marker
Inscription.  From 1687 French Batteaux men stopped here to trade with Indians. First settler "Yankee Bill" Waters, a hunter lived here 1804.
 
Erected 1935 by State Education Department.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1687.
 
Location. 43° 16.918′ N, 77° 11.007′ W. Marker is in Williamson, New York, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Mill Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington Street. Marker is in the hamlet of Pultneyville. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamson NY 14589, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Pultneyville (here, next to this marker); Pultneyville Historic District (here, next to this marker); From the Nearby Ravine (a few steps from this marker); Site of Union Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); 100 Years of Dramatics (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wreck of the St. Peter
First White Men Marker as seen facing north image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Yugoboy, March 24, 2013
2. First White Men Marker as seen facing north
Behind the First White Men marker, can be seen the Pultneyville War of 1812/Lake Ontario Captains/Lighthouse monument. Two other markers (including the Battle of Pultneyville) are to the right side of the image as well.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.7 miles away); The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (approx. 0.7 miles away); Underground Railroad Terminus (approx. Ύ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamson.
 
Also see . . .  Obituary. Notice in The Commercial Press of Pultneyville dated April 1864.
On the evening of the 19th of March 1864, Mr. William Waters, closed his eyes upon the bright scenes of this life, to awaken no more upon this side of the grade; that so coldly awaits the coming of all the living. He was one of those hardy and adventurous Pioneers who made the first opening in the vast wilderness that then bordered the shores of Lake Ontario; but is now the abode of thousands of happy denizens who have no realizing sense of the privations, sufferings, toil, and self denials, of those brace men and women, who so valiantly laid the foundations of their prosperity and happiness. The subject of this notice was born in Yorkshire, England; and immigrated to America in 1804, and adjourned for a season in Geneva, Ontario Co., N.Y. In 1806 he came to the town of Williamson, and wending his way through the unbroken forest, till he at length found a spot suitable for a residence for one
First White Men Marker as seen facing West image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Yugoboy, March 24, 2013
3. First White Men Marker as seen facing West
of his indomitable resolution: purchased a lot and settled on the wild shore of the lake, where he built a log cabin, and commenced the life of an independent farmer; which he pursued successfully till competency and old age invited him to retire from the cares of business. Though an alien by birth, he was an American at heart, and supported with becoming zeal and firmness the Republican institutions of his adopted country.

He was highly respected, held several important offices in the town; reared a large family most of whom are living, respected and esteemed; and died at the advanced age of 84 years.
(Submitted on January 15, 2021.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65346

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 9, 2022