Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Burton's Ferry

 
 
Burton's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 2008
1. Burton's Ferry Marker
Inscription.  In 1765, Robert Dunn established a ferry here. It became the gateway for settlers from the Carolinas and Virginia claiming grants in the newly opened lands of interior Georgia.

In 1772 Dunn sold to the enterprising Thomas Burton who made a large investment in boats and roads through the swamp. January 20th, 1773 he applied for and received a franchise for the operation of the ferry. The ferry proved a profitable enterprise for years for Burton.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 20, 1734.
 
Location. 32° 56.239′ N, 81° 30.698′ W. Marker is near Sylvania, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is on Burtons Ferry Road (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling south. Marker Located approx. 200 yards on Georgia side of Savannah
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brick (Bethel) Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Antioch Christian Church (approx. 5.6 miles away in South Carolina); Concord Baptist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away in South Carolina); Paris' Mill (approx. 8 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 8 miles away); Smyrna Baptist Church (approx. 9.2 miles away in South Carolina); General Samuel Elbert (approx. 9.4 miles away).
 
Burton's Ferry Marker looking south on US 301 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Burton's Ferry Marker looking south on US 301
Ferry was replaced by highway with a " Swing Bridge " now also defunct. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Ferry was replaced by highway with a " Swing Bridge " now also defunct.
The Ferry site seen today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
4. The Ferry site seen today
Now a two lane boat ramp. for recreational boaters
Close Up of the Piviot Span of the Bridge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, circa 1995
5. Close Up of the Piviot Span of the Bridge
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,490 times since then and 118 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6542

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024