Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Adams County Prison
As part of a deal to establish Gettysburg as county seat in 1800, James Gettys donated this lot for a county prison. This two story “bastille-like” building with its 16’ foot stone wall enclosing the prison yard was erected in 1851 to replace the first prison facility.
On July 2nd Confederate General Robert E. Lee held a council of war in the building, perhaps to plan the attack later that evening on Cemetery Hill.
Following the Battle, the jail was utilized by the Union Army provost marshal to retain soldiers and civilians charged with violating martial law.
In late 1889 the County enlarged the front of the building to three stories and continued its use until 1948. The Adams County Public Library followed as tenants for the next 40 years. In 1991 the Borough of Gettysburg acquired the property and rehabilitated the structure for its new municipal building.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1814.
Location. 39° 49.708′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 59 E High Street, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “bullets … rattling against our hospital … ” (a few steps from this marker); Public School (within shouting distance of this marker); "…in less than half an hour…" (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity United Church of Christ (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Organizers of Methodism in Adams County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presidents Attended Service Here (about 400 feet away); Temples of Mercy (about 400 feet away); Field Hospitals - Cavalry Corps (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. A photograph of the prison appears on the right side of the marker. It has a caption of “View by Gettysburg photographer Charles J. Tyson in 1865. Photo courtesy of William A. Frassanito.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 194 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.