Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King City Government Center
Late 1800's view of first generation development, an old stagecoach station, at the site of the City Government Center. Strawberry Alley is to the right.
1940's view of the Calder Building and the Spot Restaurant looking west from Market Square where the City Government Center now stands.
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Industry & Commerce • Women. In addition, it is included in the Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1982.
Location. 40° 15.601′ N, 76° 52.957′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on N. Second Street, on the right when traveling north. Near Strawberry Alley. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Trust Building (here, next to this marker); Eagle Hotel and Bolton Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square During The Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); Capital Of The Keystone State Preserved! (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Prelude To Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); The Vance C. McCormick Public Service Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hilton Harrisburg and Towers (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,718 times since then and 234 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.