Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Magazin Royale
A simple structure with a grand name establishes a permanent French presence at the Lower Landing
Joncaire began meeting with the Indians to trade and talk during the early 1700s and built a permanent structure at the Lower Landing in 1720. Working quickly, Joncaire and his men "built in haste a kind of cabbin of bark, measuring 30' x 40' and enclosed by a stockade, where they displayed the King's Colors and honored it with the name Magazin Royale." Both the British and the Seneca tried to force the French to leave the area, but Joncaire succeeded in living openly among his Indian neighbors and playing a vital role in maintaining French influence among the Indian nations. Maintaining his primary residence in Montreal, Joncaire periodically visited his trading post at the Lower Landing and used it as a base for Journeys to and from the Seneca.
After completing his trading post, Joncaire asked the Iroquois for permission to build a larger post. Originally
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, French and Indian. A significant historical date for this entry is June 29, 1739.
Location. 43° 9.955′ N, 79° 2.676′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from South 4th Street south of Tuscarora Street.. This historical marker is located on the grounds of the Earl W. Brydges Artpark. To get to this historic marker one must take South 4th Street south all the way to where the road ends, at the entrance to the Earl W. Brydges Artpark. The historic marker is on the grounds of the artpark, on a section of land just beyond the first large parking area and just before the second large parking area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston NY 14092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Fort Joncaire (here, next to this marker); Lewiston Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Lewiston Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cradles (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Niagara 1979, by Gene Davis, Reinstallation (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park (about 400 feet away); The Gully and Portage Road (about 400 feet away); Lower Landing Archeological District (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Also see . . .
1. Louis Thomas de Joncaire. This is a link to information provided by the Western NY Exhibition Blog of the Ontario County Historical Society. (Submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Chabert de Joncaire, Louis-Thomas. This is a link to information provided by the Dictionary of Canadian Biography website. (Submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. The King's Store. This is a link to information provided by the Niagara Falls Reporter website. (Submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2. submitted on May 30, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 25, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.