Edinburgh in Johnson County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
- - - - 1826 - - - -
Built by James Thompson and Isaac Collier.
1850 - Thompson erected larger four-story brick mill. All flour used by Union Army during Civil War ground here.
After a fire in 1872, John A. Thompson, a son, built six-story brick mill. Flour shipped to all parts of U.S. Present dam built by Thompson of Indiana limestone, first stone dam in Midwest.
In WW I, Will Irwin of Columbus bought mill, generated electricity for Union Starch and Refining Co. Mill given to town and for a time electricity generated for town use. Mill was razed in 1957.
Erected 1976 by Edinburgh Bicentennial Committee.
Location. 39° 21.314′ N, 85° 58.608′ W. Marker is in Edinburgh, Indiana, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of Eisenhower Drive (State Road 252) and West River Road (a.k.a.: West Center Cross Street) (State Road 252), on the right when traveling east on Eisenhower Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edinburgh IN 46124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Historical Blue River Township (approx. 1.4 miles away); Nancy Kerlin Barnett (was approx. 4½ miles away but has been reported missing. ); William Merritt Chase (approx. 5.8 miles away); Lowell Mills (approx. 8 miles away); Atterbury Army Air Field (approx. 8.4 miles away); Home of Columbus Horatio Hall (approx. 9.4 miles away); Johnson County Court Houses (approx. 9.6 miles away); Johnson County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Thompson Mill.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 728 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 17, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.