Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Dissolution of the Confederate Government
President Jefferson Davis Post. M. Gen. John H. Reagan Sec. of Navy Stephen R. Mallory Sec. of War John C. Breckenridge Act. Sec. of Treas. M.H. Clark Adj. Gen. Samuel Cooper Nav. Purch. Agt. C.E. Thorburn Mil. Adv. Braxton Bragg Com. Gen. I.M. St. John Q.M. Gen. A.R. Lawton Prvt. Sec. Burton N. Harrison Aide-de-camp Col. J.T. Wood Aide-de-camp Col. Lubbock, Ex. Gov. Texas Aide-de-camp Col. Wm. P. Johnston
At this meeting the Confederate Government was dissolved, the last official papers were signed, the residue of coin and bullion brought from Richmond was disposed of by order of Pres. Davis, and both civil and military officials separated to make their escape.
Erected 1938 by Last Cabinet Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 4, 1865.
Location. 33° 44.279′ N, 82° 44.352′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is on North Spring Street,. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 Court Street, Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Last Cabinet Meeting of the C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Jefferson Davis (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of Cpl. M. Philip Scarborough, USMC (a few steps from this marker); Bolton Factory (a few steps from this marker); Wilkes County (a few steps from this marker); Washington Square (a few steps from this marker); Washington-Wilkes Vietnam Monument (a few steps from this marker); Woodmen of the World Supreme Sacrifice Monument (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jonathan Newell of Taylors, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,076 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jonathan Newell of Taylors, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on March 31, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.