New Port Richey in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Originally named Enchantment Park, it was renamed December 16, 1924, to honor George R. Sims, early developer of New Port Richey and donor of the park and clubhouse. His wife, Marjorie, was the first Chasco Fiesta queen. The Civic Club, organized in 1916, has occupied the clubhouse since 1924. The bandstand, built in 1925, has been the site of much entertainment and politicking. The two-room Seven Springs schoolhouse, moved in 1981 and renovated by the West Pasco Historical Society, houses a museum. The Hacienda Hotel, a 'boom time' establishment frequented by movie stars and celebrities in the early days, adjoins the park.
Erected 1982 by Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Historical Preservation Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Parks & Recreational Areas • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is December 16, 1926.
Location. 28° 15.102′ N, 82° 43.26′ W. Marker is in New Port Richey, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Port Richey FL 34652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oelsner Mound (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pine Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Green Key (approx. 2.2 miles away); Old Elfers School (approx. 2.2 miles away); West Elfers Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Baker House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Seven Springs (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Port Richey.
Also see . . . Info on Sims Park. (Submitted on July 27, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 48 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 27, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?