Luzern, Switzerland — Central Europe (the Alps)
In the year 1458 the corporation of butchers together with the corporation of Balenherren (: guild of fishermen and drum-netters) built their guild-house on the Wine Market. The guild-room, an assembly-room for masters and journeymen, was situated on the first floor and guests were also welcomed there.
The throughfare between Wine Market and Brandgassli, the so-called Metzgerbogli or Butchers’ Arch, existed even before the guild-house of butchers was built. It connected the Wine Market the trading-post to the north, with the bank of the river Reuss in the south where the corporation of Balenherren sold their fish and shel (sic) fish. The thoroughfare was important in case of fire. Buckets of water were then transported one by one by a chain of people from the river to the fire.
The light niche dates from
The candle or oil-lamp was placed into the nich and its light would the illuminate the thoroughfare.
In the beginning the late Gothic entrance gave access to the down town place of residence of 1 family, which later became the property of the Pfyffer family. The adjoining house burned completely down to its foundation during the last big fire in the city of Lucerne in 1833.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Labor Unions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1458.
Location. 47° 3.115′ N, 8° 18.308′ E. Marker is in Luzern. Marker is at the intersection of Kornmarktgasse and Brandgässli, on the left when traveling west on Kornmarktgasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Kornmarktgasse 7, Luzern 6004, Switzerland. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Fire Alley" (a few steps from this marker); Pfyffer-Cloos-House (within shouting distance of this marker); Von Laufenhaus (within shouting distance of this marker); Fishermens Point (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wine Market (within shouting distance of this marker); "By the Storks" (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Little House"Metzgerrainli (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luzern.
More about this marker. Metzgerbogli or Butchers’ Arch is a tunnel between Kornmarktgasse and Brandgässli.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 11, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.