Paint Lick in Garrard County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Paint Lick
500 ft. north is site of log fort and stockade built by Lt. Col. Wm. Miller. Born in Virginia, he came to Kentucky with Daniel Boone's party and helped mark a trace to Boonesboro; served with Capt. James Estill in Battle of Little Mountain. Miller surveyed land for the fort in 1776. Other early settlers were George Adams, Wm. Champ, and Alexander Denny. Over.
Fort Paint Lick - First settlers found Indian signs painted on trees along creek banks and around the nearby salt lick. They gave settlement the name of Paint Lick. The fort was built over a spring that was entered by steps leading down to it. Jinney Adams was killed by Indian Chief Thunder in 1791. She is buried in the first marked grave in fort cemetery. See over.
Erected 1975 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1526.)
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paint Lick KY 40461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paint Lick Presbyterian Church/Paint Lick Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Madison Hemp And Flax Co. / Hemp in Kentucky (approx. 3.8 miles away); Bradley Kincaid (approx. 4.4 miles away); Berea – A Birthplace of the Handicraft Revival (approx. 5˝ miles away); Kentucky's Earliest Artforms (approx. 5˝ miles away); The Battle of Richmond Knocked at Berea's Door (approx. 7 miles away); Church of Christ, Union (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Traveling Church (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paint Lick.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,490 times since then and 232 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 4. submitted on September 23, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.