Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Augusta and the Old Augusta Cemetery

Circa 1819

 
 
Augusta and the Old Augusta Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2013
1. Augusta and the Old Augusta Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Augusta, home of Old Augusta Cemetery, was built on the site of a former Indian village, “Sawanogi,” on high ground close to the Tallapoosa River. In 1824 a disastrous flood swept over the plateau, invading shops and residences. A year later a deadly form of malarial fever took half the population to their graves, killing the town as well. The cemetery, burial place for the Ross, Charles, and Taylor families, continued to be used until the early 20th century. The iron fence surrounding the cemetery formerly was erected around the state Capitol in Montgomery.
 
Erected 2006 by East Montgomery County Historical Society and the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesDisastersNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1824.
 
Location. 32° 24.726′ N, 86° 7.895′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Wares
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Ferry Road (County Route 64) 0.4 miles east of Dozier Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8511 Wares Ferry Road, Montgomery AL 36117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Georgia Washington School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Chantilly Plantation (approx. 4.9 miles away); Ray Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Madison Park School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Union Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Old Augusta Baptist Church & Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2013
2. Old Augusta Baptist Church & Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,014 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=68260

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024