Waterford in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Troy - Waterford Bridge
Formerly called the Union Bridge, the original connection between Troy and Waterford was a covered timber toll bridge.
The Union Bridge was built in 1804 and was the first bridge crossing the Hudson River north of New York Harbor. The timber covered structure was destroyed in a fire on July 10, 1909. The original stone piers of the Union Bridge are encased in the concrete piers that support the existing Troy - Waterford Bridge.
A model of the timber framing was constructed to test the load bearing capacity of the original covered bridge. This model and the original toll house sign are on display at the Waterford Museum.
Erected by Hudson River Improvement Fund, the Village of Waterford, J. Bert Mahoney, Mayor, & Merle H. Doud, Historian.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1922.
Location. 42° 47.364′ N, 73° 40.539′ W. Marker is in Waterford, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Broad Street (Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford NY 12188, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Village of Waterford (here, next to this marker); Waterford Village Historic District (here, next to this marker); Waterford (a few steps from this marker); Birthplace of Howard Lindsay (a few steps from this marker); Waterford N.Y. (within shouting distance of this marker); Waterford War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Waterford Bridges (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
Also see . . . The Waterford Historical Museum and Cultural Center. Museum website homepage (Submitted on September 22, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 22, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.