Orlando in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Gatlin
On November 9, 1838, during the Second Seminole Indian War (1835-42), the U.S. Army established Fort Gatlin in Mosquito County. This fort was named for Army Assistant Surgeon John S. Gatlin (1806-1835), who was killed in the Dade Massacre in 1835. The site of the fort was chosen as a military outpost due to its strategic position overlooking three lakes and because the area was frequented by Native Americans led by Seminole Chief King Philip and his son Coacoochee. The fort served the state militia during the war until the Army withdrew in 1849. A few soldiers and families remained in the area, growing citrus and raising cattle. In 1856, Fort Gatlin became the county seat of Orange County, created from Mosquito County in 1845. The community's name was later changed to Orlando, a name attributed to militiaman Orlando Reeves, who was reportedly killed in a skirmish during the Second Seminole War. It is believed that Reeves is buried near the site of Fort Gatlin. In 1941, during World War II, the United States Navy established the Underwater Sound Reference Laboratory near this site on Lake Gem Mary because of the great depth of the lake. The
Erected 2003 by A Florida Heritage Site Sponsored by the Fort Gatlin Historical Group, Orange County Public Schools, Orange County Government and The Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-483.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1927.
Location. 28° 29.669′ N, 81° 22.046′ W. Marker is in Orlando, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of Gatlin Avenue and South Summerlin Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Gatlin Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3909 South Summerlin Avenue, Orlando FL 32806, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Gatlin 1838 (a few steps from this marker); The Council Oak (approx. half a mile away); Site and Home of Francis Eppes (approx. 0.9 miles away); Orlando's First Settler, Aaron Jernigan (approx. 1.8 miles away); Welcome to the Pulse Interim Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); Conway First Baptist Church/Fort Gatlin (approx. 2.2 miles away); Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road (approx. St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church/Datson Dairy (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orlando.
Also see . . .
1. Site's Key To Orlando History: Fort Gatlin. Orlando Sentinel website entry:
The lakefront site of a former Navy sonar lab now owned by the Orange County School District is breathing new life into hopes that researchers can pin down the site of Fort Gatlin once and for all. (Submitted on March 29, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Second Seminole War. Wikipedia entry:
This war became one of America's longest, and one of the most expensive prior to the Civil War. (Submitted on April 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 9,023 times since then and 553 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. 3. submitted on March 29, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 4. submitted on April 1, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.