Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown in Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Convent Street

 
 
Convent Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 20, 2013
1. Convent Street Marker
Marker is mounted horizontally in the sidewalk.
Inscription.  Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later they opened a school at San Xavier Mission, followed a year later by the establishment of the St. Augustine’s Parochial School for Boys.
 
Erected 2013 by City of Tucson Historic Preservation Office.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRoads & VehiclesWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 32° 13.256′ N, 110° 58.355′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. It is in Downtown. Marker is at the intersection of South Church Avenue and West Broadway Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on South Church Avenue. Marker is on the southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 S Church Ave, Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. August 20th Park (within shouting distance of this marker); La Catedral de San Agustin
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de la Mesilla (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles O. Brown House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meyer Street (about 400 feet away); Garcés Footbridge (about 400 feet away); Ochoa Street (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Convent Street
Convent Street no longer exists, but followed today's Church Avenue between West Broadway Boulevard and West McCormick Street.
    — Submitted October 21, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
 
Convent Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 20, 2013
2. Convent Street Marker
Convent Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 20, 2013
3. Convent Street Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69589

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 20, 2024