Greenville in Butler County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Confederate Park/Greenville City Hall-Site of Public School
Confederate Park was created in 1897 as a joint effort of the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the City of Greenville, with First United Methodist Church providing the Park site. The sixteen-foot marble statue of a Confederate soldier was erected in the center of the park in 1903 and is a well known landmark. The Park serves the community as an outdoor center for concerts and festivals. Sponsored by the Sasanqua Garden Club of Greenville.
A two-story brick Greenville Public School was built in 1897 on this site. In 1921, the upper story was partially destroyed by fire and the school was remodeled into a grammar school. In 1927, the entire school burned to the ground. The current Greenville City Hall was constructed in 1936-37 as a WPA Project and houses administrative offices for the City of Greenville. Sponsored by the Sasanqua Garden Club of Greenville.
Erected 2000 by Alabama Historical Association
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. 31° 49.769′ N, 86° 37.38′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Alabama, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of East Commerce Street (Alabama Route 10) and South Park Street, on the left when traveling west on East Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 East Commerce Street, Greenville AL 36037, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Camellia City / Greenville (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Confederate Dead Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Our Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Captain William Butler (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Site of Confederate Hospital (about 600 feet away); West Commerce Street Historic District/Historic Greenville Depot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,320 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 13, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 5. submitted on December 13, 2013. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.