Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Slave Auction Block
"Sold down river"
The antebellum Deep South had an insatiable need for slave labor for the cotton plantations there. Virginia, America's largest slaveholding state, exported half a million slaves to points south and west. Wheeling was part of that network, the destination of the overland route from Baltimore to the Ohio River and then to slave markets in Charleston (present-day West Virginia), Kentucky, and along
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 40° 4.226′ N, 80° 43.393′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is at the intersection of 10thStreet (U.S. 40) and Market Street (West Virginia Route 2), on the left when traveling west on 10thStreet. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wheeling Suspension Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wheeling Suspension Bridge - 1849 (about 500 feet away); The Siege of Fort Henry (about 600 feet away); Fort Henry (about 600 feet away); a different marker also Wheeling Suspension Bridge (about 600 feet away); Wheeling (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Henry (about 600 feet away); Pennsylvania Depot (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,471 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 1, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.