Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Camp Del Rio
In 1880 the San Felipe Agricultural, Manufacturing and Irrigation Company donated land at this site to the United States Government for use as a military reservation. Since the original shareholders of the firm had founded the town of Del Rio, the camp name was changed. The grounds here included officers' quarters, a hospital, bakery, quartermaster's storehouse, and barracks. Later, when it was discovered some of the structures had been built on private property, additional land was leased from the owners.
Indians raids in the area had ended by 1890 and the troops were moved to other posts. Camp Del Rio was officially abandoned the next year
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4742.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 29° 22.052′ N, 100° 53.112′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on Ogden Street north of South Bedell Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S. Army Camel Corps (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church of Del Rio (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Taini (approx. 0.9 miles away); Val Verde County Courthouse Square (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (approx. one mile away); City of Del Rio (approx. one mile away); Old Del Rio National Bank Building (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?